Tuesday 25 September 2012

It's like my girl Beyonce says.

Many of my twitter pals and besties know that almost 2 years ago, I saw an opal ring in the window of a small independent jewellers in town. It was second hand / vintage and BEAUTIFUL. I've loved opals since I was in middle school and had an Australian teacher who wore opal jewellery from her home town. I was facsinated by the colours and the way they seemed to change.
I'd go and look at this lovely ring on my way to my favourite sandwich shop on my lunch break. I'd go with a  work friend and we'd scour the shelves til we saw it. It was always moving! I'd show anyone who came to town with me on the weekends. I'd tweet pics of it and even showed my mum! It was close to a grand so hardly some thing I could buy for myself on a whim.
One day, I went to have a quick peak at it and it was gone! I checked every time I went past the shop but no, it had vanished. I was gutted. After a while I stopped looking. There had been a similar ring in the window so one day, a while later, I went to look at that one and I was amazed to see 'my ring' back in the window, at a discounted price! Meant to be. I had an idea to start saving and buy it for myself but..

My 25th birthday was April this year. I was lucky enough it was on a Saturday! Adrian got up to make my birthday breakfast and I had an awesome lie in. Ade came to wake me up but opened the bedroom a bit strangely, so I couldn't see out. He told me to get dressed and have breakfast in the front room. I had this weird feeling there were people in the flat as he was making me put my dressing gown over my PJs. When I opened the door, instead of people, I saw this!


Which lead to


and my breakfast looked like this


So I ate some of my awesome breakfast but I was too excited for presents. My last present felt like a book. When I opened it it was a slightly sellotaped up, obviously second hand copy of Breaking Dawn. I just looked at Ade. I have never expressed any interest in the series and who buys someone a book from a series they haven't started? So I opened it and there was a hand written message from him, ending 'Please be mine?' I was confused, that sounded more like a valentine's message. I kept turning pages til I saw the middle of the book had been cut out and there was a ring box inside. OH MY GOODNESS. My hands were shaking as I took the box out and opened it. IT WAS THE RING FROM THE SHOP. The ring of my dreams. My amazing boyfriend was proposing to me on my birthday, with the ring I'd loved for months. Does it get any better?! I was too excited to speak and just started hugging him. He later said he was worried that I didn't answer right away.


I then got to spend the day celebrating my birthday AND engagement with my favourite people, having a BBQ and drinks. Won't be forgetting that birthday any time soon!

2 comments:

  1. Eeeep. How romantic and awesome!! I love the ring. And is it bad that I'm also kind of pleased that one less copy of that twilight series is on this earth in one piece :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's really not that romantic so was an amazing surprise. I love my cut up copy ;-) no one can ever know the middle! Ha ha.

      Delete